Whistler has a mission to achieve zero waste. As a community with strong sustainability goals, organizations across the community have been working together to improve the ways in which waste material is managed. Updates to the Solid Waste Bylaw by the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) now require all properties to separate all recyclable material, and food scraps and organics from garbage.
In recognition that some properties will need help adapting to the updated waste regulations a series of workshops are being offered to help people prepare. The workshops will provide:
- A brief overview of the RMOW’s revised Solid Waste Bylaw
- Practical guidance on updating shared waste storage spaces in Commercial and Multi-Family Accommodation properties – from building and retro-fitting garbage rooms to access and signage.
- Key steps to take to ensure unit occupants use new waste systems successfully – from long-term residents and short-term visitor rentals to engaged staff equipped with the tools to monitor waste in your business.
- Access to a wide-range of free guides and tools to take away and use following the workshop.
These one-hour workshops will be packed with practical guidance. In recognition that every business and property is different the workshops focus on common themes and provide links and tools to more detailed information, which attendees can access while working to implement new waste systems. Connect with AWARE and RMOW staff following the workshops on questions specific to individual properties or business actions.
Separate workshops are being offered for the Commercial and Multi-Family Accommodation sectors so content can be tailored to the needs of attendees.
Industrial, Commercial and Institutional Properties
- October 24th | 5:30pm – 6:30pm | Whistler Chamber of Commerce
- October 25th | 8am– 9am | Whistler Public Library
The commercial sector workshops are geared towards managers, supervisors and those who provide staff training in:
- Restaurant, Retail and Commercial business operations
- Hotel and Mixed-Use Rental Properties (with both commercial and accommodation units)
- Commercial Property Maintenance and Cleaning Teams
Download FREE COMMERCIAL TOOLS AND SIGNAGE
Multi-Family Accommodation Properties
- October 24th | 8am – 9am | Whistler Public Library
- October 25th | 5:30pm – 6:30pm | Whistler Chamber of Commerce
The accommodation sector workshops are intended to support the implementation of new or updated waste management systems in multi-family accommodation properties of 12 or more units. The accommodation workshops are geared towards managers or those in a supervisory role at:
- Strata Management Companies
- Property Rental Companies
- Property Strata Councils
The Solid Waste Solutions Workshops have been funded by the RMOW and will be delivered by the Association of Whistler Area Residents for the Environment (AWARE), who have been working to support properties and businesses in Whistler to prepare for changes in the way waste is managed in the Whistler community.