2022 We Are AWARE Nature Photo Contest
Every Step Leaves an Imprint. Every Image Inspires a Sensation.
What Will You Inspire?
Take photos of your adventures. Submit them. Help protect the places you love.
AWARE and Arts Whistler are inviting you to use your camera to make a difference – just as every step leaves a footprint, every image inspires a sensation, and you get to choose the impact you create.
The We Are AWARE nature photo contest will be a medium to practice the art of visual storytelling through photography – how to portray awe, compassion, and the inherent value of the ecosystem through a single frame. It will also display consideration of our constant wilderness contact here in Whistler and how we locals want this environment to be seen and treated.
They say a photo speaks a thousand words; can we as a community speak up, through photography, to inspire care for the place we call home?
About the Contest:
You can use your imagery to encourage cleaning up trash, preparing fresh home grown food, practicing leave no trace principles, exploring the uncharted and inspiring others to respectfully experience nature like you do!
- Submissions will be accepted between July 15 and October 1, 2022.
- Up to 5 images will be accepted per participant.
- Winning images will be on display in Maury Young Art Gallery from November 16- December 22, 2022
Who May Enter:
- Any individual residing in the Sea to Sky corridor may enter
- Individuals who are 16 years old or younger on October 1, 2022 may enter in the youth or emerging category.
- Individuals 17 or older on October 1, 2022 may submit into emerging or professional
Winning photos will be displayed in the gallery at the Maury Young Arts Centre!
A friendly reminder to practice good stewardship while capturing your images. Check out the video below for more tips!
A picture speaks a thousand words…
Nature Needs Us to SPEAK UP
We have 5 categories in this contest, all demonstrating our interconnectedness with the natural world in different ways. We are accepting photos in youth, emerging, and professional divisions – you decide what division your experience puts you in. We will take up to 5 photos from each participant over a 10 week period. So get out and have fun, be mindful, inspirational, and let’s work together to better understand what a community can do when we are AWARE.
- Applicants must reside in the Sea to Sky corridor
- By submitting an entry, each participant agrees to the rules and ethic of the competition – Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints
- AWARE Whistler has rights to all photos submitted to them for use in future projects. Any photograph reproduced will include photographer credit as feasible.
- Photos must be taken within 75km of Whistler; may be from any date.
- No location will be advertised to encourage anonymity and security of photographed places
- AWARE reserves the right not to accept entries with recognizable features to protect the identity of wild spaces
- By submitting a photo the contestant certifies that he/she is the sole creator and copyright owner of the submitted photograph.
- Cropped photos are eligible in all categories. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos, If the judges determine that a photographer has altered his or her photo, they reserve the right to disqualify it.
- For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must be prepared to provide a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian upon request. Similarly, entrants whose photos depict other people’s work (such as sculptures, statues, paintings, and other copyrightable works) must be prepared to provide a release from the rights holder upon request.
- The welfare of a subject and its environment must be placed ahead of the desire to capture a photograph. Upon entering the contest, entrants certify that subjects were treated with respect and dignity, and that no people, wildlife or the environment were harmed in creating a photograph.
- Photo entries will be judged by a panel of artists based on creativity, quality, originality, responsiveness to the prompt, and overall impact.